At Roosevelt IB MS, RMS Music encourages Students to play music together, build friendships, entertain audiences and have fun!
RMS Music 2022-2023
Every 6th Grader is enrolled in a semester-long Music course in either Semester 1 or Semester 2 of the regular school year. This music appreciation course is an introduction to music through music culture & history, composition and Digital Music Production (MIDI Keyboards, BandLab, Soundtrap). 6th Graders are also introduced to various percussion instruments.
6th, 7th and 8th Graders may enroll in one of the 7th Period Music Electives, either Band/Jazz Band or Orchestra. 7th and 8th Graders may also enroll in Digital Music Production. Sign-ups for Electives begin late Spring and continue through the first few weeks of school. When elective classes are full, Students are placed on a wait list.
If you are interested in 7th Period (after school) Band or Orchestra:
- Please contact the RMS Music Director and the Music Boosters: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
- Please contact your child(ren)’s School Counselor to sign-up for Music Elective.
RMS Music Elective Schedule for 2022 – 2023
- Band/Jazz Band: Mondays & Wednesdays, 7th Period (3:19-4:14 PM). Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion.
- Orchestra: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 7th Period (3:19-4:14 PM). Strings: violin, viola, cello, double bass.
Music Boosters Support
- We partner with music organizations for in-person, online, livestream/live-hosted, music education presentations and concerts with teaching musicians, artists and ensembles.
- Music Coaches provide individual and small group instrumental instruction.
- VOLUNTEER POSITIONS OPEN for Percussion, Brass and Woodwinds Coaches.
- If you’re interested in enriching music education for Band/ Jazz Band Students, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Supplementing traditional music education with Digital Music Production.
RMS MUSIC NOTES
- RMS Music Meeting Slideshow | Back to School Night 9/22/2022
- RMS Music and San Diego Symphony $10.00 Community Access Tickets for Concerts at The Rady Shell in Jacobs Park (Sep 2022).
- Music “Open House” Zoom Recording (Passcode: B*a7Rg2D) and Slideshow (June 2022).
- RMS Music on YouTube.com.
- 6th Grade Music Songwriters Win 1st Place at 2021 MS SDUSD CCTE Innovation Showcase.
- RMS Band and Orchestra Make Music … and the News!! La Jolla Music Society “Discovery Artist” Xavier Foley (Double Bass) Visit (CBS 8 San Diego, March 2022).
- RMS Music Boosters & San Diego Symphony for Cultural Education! Oct 2021.
- “Roosevelt Music Improvises During Pandemic.” San Diego Downtown News (March 2021).
- Music Students Q&A “Jazz for Young People” with Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra Musicians & La Jolla Music Society (Feb 2021).
- Music Players Becoming Music Makers! Dec 2020.
- VAPA Grant Award (MIDI Keyboards) Nov 2020.
The Music Boosters volunteers are RMS Music Families and RMS Community members who support the Music Director and Music Students through fundraising, events coordination, chaperoning, coaching and administrative assistance. ALL are WELCOME at Music Booster Meetings! Please attend to get firsthand details on upcoming music events, activities and fundraisers. We appreciate your support!
- President & Communications: Pauline Treviño
- Music Community Outreach: Sonya Harris
- Strings Coach: Bill Fish
- Music Director: Nathan Elias Kocivar (Mr. E.K.)
OPEN POSITIONS (2022-2023)
- Vice President (The President position will be open 2023-2024).
- Communications & Marketing (Writers, Photographers, Video, Social Media, Graphic Designers, etc).
- Accounting (Partner with the Friends of Roosevelt Foundation Treasurer).
- Music Coaches for Percussion, Brass & Woodwinds.
- Voting Members (3).
- Give the Gift of RMS Music: An annual campaign which highlights music students’ accomplishments to inspire the RMS Community to support the music program. “Music Student Spotlight” blogposts are featured on RooFriends.org, Friends of Roosevelt Foundation social media accounts and endorsements from the RMS Principal by phone call, email and RMS social media.
- PARKING FUNDRAISERS: Throughout the year, RMS Music Families, including students, volunteer to help with RooFriends Parking Fundraisers and earn earmarked funds for the music program. Please designate your time to “Music Boosters.”
- ONLINE DONATIONS: We accept DONATIONS all year long to help fund music festivals, outreach field trips, instrument parts, sheet music and other classroom supplies. Thank You!!
Please feel free to contact the following Music Boosters members for more information or if you would like to volunteer your time and ideas: email@example.com. Thanks!!
- Pauline Treviño, President & Communications (RMS Classes of 2021 & 2023)
- Sonya Harris, Music Community Outreach
- Nathan Elias Kocivar, Music Director (Band/ Jazz Band, Orchestra, Digital Music, 6th Grade Music)
- Subscribe and Synch to the RMS Music Boosters Calendar