At Roosevelt IB MS, we have a vibrant music program where students make amazing music together, build lasting friendships, entertain audiences and have fun!
2020-2021: Every 6th Grader is enrolled in a 9-week music class during the school year. During this course, they will receive an introduction to music, composition and music production. All 6th Graders also have an opportunity to be introduced to percussion, if they choose.
All 6th, 7th and 8th Graders have the option of enrolling in 0 Period Music Elective, either Band or Orchestra, that meets online multiple days a week from 8:45 to 9:45 am, during the asynchronous period, throughout the entire school year.
Because of the current circumstances, all festivals and field trips have been cancelled for this school term. With the support of the Music Boosters, we are enhancing the RMS Music program with other opportunities:
- Partnering with music organizations for online, live stream, live-hosted, music-education presentations and concerts with teaching artists and musicians: San Diego Symphony, Advocates for Classical Music, Center for World Music, La Jolla Music Society, Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra and more!!
- Our own “Traveling the World Through Music” program: Mexico (Jan 2021), Vietnam & South Africa (Feb 2021).
- Outreach with international cultural and world music organizations to connect students with students and musicians outside of the United States.
- Adding Music Coaches to the 0 Period Band and Orchestra classes for more focused, individualized instrumental instruction.
- Incorporating digital music and music composition with online applications and MIDI keyboards.
- A virtual music studio tour with a professional musician, music producer.
RMS MUSIC NOTES
- VAPA Grant Award (MIDI Keyboards) | Virtual Field Trip with San Diego Symphony. Nov 2020
- Music Players Becoming Music Makers! Dec 2020
- Music Coaches for the WIN!! Dec 2020
- Music Students Stay On Key In 2020!! Dec 2020
- Travel the World Through Music: Mexico & Vietnam. Jan 2021
- Recognizing Black History: South Africa Music & Culture (Center for World Music). Feb 2021
- Music Students Q&A “Jazz for Young People” with Special Guests: Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra Musicians & La Jolla Music Society. Feb 2021
Music Boosters consists of RMS Music Families and RMS Community members who support the RMS Music through fundraising, events coordination, chaperoning, coaching and administrative assistance. ALL are invited to our monthly Music Booster Meetings! Please attend to discuss possible upcoming activities and fundraisers. We appreciate your support!
Next Online Music Boosters Meeting: March 24, 6:30 PM.
Minutes from Previous Music Boosters Meetings:
- The annual MUSICAL TREE and other fundraisers provide various musical enrichments:
- PARKING FUNDRAISERS: Throughout the year, RMS Music Families, including students, volunteer to help with RooFriends’ parking fundraisers and earn earmarked funds for the music program. Please designate your time to “Music Boosters.”
- ONLINE DONATIONS: We accept donations all year long to help fund music festivals, outreach field trips to elementary schools, instrument parts, sheet music and other classroom supplies. Please click on the donate button below and designate your funds to the RMS Music program. Thank You!!
Please feel free to contact the following Music Boosters members for more information or if you would like to volunteer your time and/or ideas. Thank You!!
- Elizabeth Newlin – RMS Music Boosters President
- Pauline Treviño – RMS Music Boosters Communications
- Sonya Harris – RMS Music Boosters Music Community Outreach
- Nathan Elias Kocivar – RMS Music Director (Band, Orchestra, 6th Grade Music)