At Roosevelt IB MS, we have a vibrant Music program which encourages Students to play music together, build friendships, entertain audiences and have fun!
RMS Music 2021-2022: Every 6th Grader is enrolled in a semester-long Music class during the school year. This course is an introduction to music, composition and Digital Music Production (MIDI Keyboards, BandLab, Soundtrap). All 6th Graders will also be introduced to percussion instruments, if they choose.
6th, 7th and 8th Graders may also enroll in one of the 7th Period Music Electives, either Band or Orchestra. 7th and 8th Graders may also enroll in Digital Music Production. Sign-ups for Music Electives begin late Spring and continue through the first few weeks of school. Once classes are full, Students will be placed on a wait list. Please contact your School Counselor to sign-up for Music Elective(s). If you have questions about the Music program, please contact:
- Nathan Elias Kocivar, Music Director: email@example.com.
- Music Boosters: firstname.lastname@example.org.
RMS Music Elective Schedule for 2021 – 2022
- Band (Brass, Percussion, Woodwinds): Mondays and Fridays, 7th Period (3:19 – 4:14 PM).
- Orchestra (Strings): Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7th Period (3:19 – 4:14 PM).
- Digital Music (MIDI keyboards, etc): Fridays, 7th Period (3:19 – 4:14 PM).
With the support of the Music Boosters, the RMS Music program is enhanced by:
- Partnering with music organizations for online, live stream, live-hosted, music-education presentations and concerts with teaching artists and musicians: San Diego Symphony, Advocates for Classical Music, Center for World Music, La Jolla Music Society, Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra and more!!
- Our own “Traveling the World Through Music” program: Mexico (Jan & June 2021), Vietnam & South Africa (Feb 2021), Poland, Spain and Iran (March 2021) and more!!
- Adding Music Coaches to Band and Orchestra classes for more focused, individualized instrumental instruction.
- Supplementing traditional music education with Digital Music Production, online applications and MIDI keyboards.
RMS MUSIC NOTES
- “Roosevelt Music Improvises During Pandemic.” San Diego Downtown News (March 2021).
- “Travel the World” with RMS Music: Poland, Spain & Iran (March 2021).
- Music Students Q&A “Jazz for Young People” with Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra Musicians & La Jolla Music Society (Feb 2021).
- Recognizing Black History: South Africa Music & Culture (Feb 2021).
- Travel the World Through Music: Mexico & Vietnam (Jan 2021).
- Music Players Becoming Music Makers! Dec 2020.
- Music Coaches for the WIN!! Dec 2020.
- Music Students Stay On Key In 2020!! Dec 2020.
- VAPA Grant Award (MIDI Keyboards) | Virtual Field Trip with San Diego Symphony. Nov 2020.
Music Boosters consists of RMS Music Families and RMS Community members who support the RMS Music through fundraising, events coordination, chaperoning, coaching and administrative assistance. ALL are invited to our monthly Music Booster Meetings! Please attend to discuss possible upcoming activities and fundraisers. We appreciate your support!
- The annual MUSICAL TREE and other fundraisers provide various musical enrichments:
- PARKING FUNDRAISERS: Throughout the year, RMS Music Families, including students, volunteer to help with RooFriends’ parking fundraisers and earn earmarked funds for the music program. Please designate your time to “Music Boosters.” We look forward to the return of parking fundraisers to support Balboa Park and San Diego Zoo events in 2021-2022.
- ONLINE DONATIONS: We accept donations all year long to help fund music festivals, outreach field trips to elementary schools, instrument parts, sheet music and other classroom supplies. Please click on the donate button below and designate your funds to the RMS Music program. Thank You!!
Please feel free to contact the following Music Boosters members for more information or if you would like to volunteer your time and/or ideas. Thank You!!
- Pauline Treviño – RMS Music Boosters President (RMS 2021 & 2023)
- Sonya Harris – RMS Music Boosters Music Community Outreach
- Nathan Elias Kocivar – RMS Music Director (Band, Orchestra, Digital Music, 6th Grade Music)