PTSA Board Requirements
The Roosevelt IB PTSA supports student enrichment opportunities and family engagement events at Roosevelt International Middle School. Historically, the PTSA has planned family events like the Trick or Trot 3K/5K Fun Run, Family Movie Nights; helped to organize and fund, with RIMS Administration and the YMCA, the after-school enrichment opportunities available to all students; and coordinated 6th Grade Camp and the 8th Grade Promotion Party.
Because the PTSA belongs to everyone interested in being involved, the list of things the PTSA is willing to tackle is really up to next year’s PTSA. There are many people who are active and involved, and we already have folks willing to work on the After School program and 6th Grade Camp, but we still need to find folks willing to take on the three required officer positions: President, Secretary, and Treasurer (see descriptions below). Please contact RooseveltPTSA1@gmail.com ASAP if you are interested in serving or would like more information. Again, we will need to fill these three positions in order to maintain the PTSA.
Board Position Descriptions
Time Commitment: 8-12 hours per month, varies
Busiest Times of Year: beginning of the year but flattens out; additional special projects
- Oversees all objectives and strategies of PTSA (including fundraising objectives, community building events, educational events, etc.)
- Acts as liaison between parents and principal / staff
- Recruits PTSA Committee Chairs
- Creates agenda and facilitates monthly PTSA meetings and 3-4 PTSA board meetings
- Ensures writing of periodic PTSA News bulletins
- Collaborates with Principal and RooFriends to create annual school calendar
- Collaborates with Treasurer to create annual PTSA budget
- Speaks at Back to School Night and other events
- Represents Roosevelt at various meetings, such as 9th District PTSA Council meetings.
Time Commitment: 2-3 hours per month, busiest following each PTSA meeting
- Takes minutes at PTSA general meetings, type minutes, and distribute them in a timely fashion.
- Makes copies of minutes from the last general meeting for distribution (and approval) for general meetings.
- Attends executive board meetings, participate in discussions and decision-making, take minutes for preparation and distribution to the other officers.
- Prepares the sign-in sheet, set out nametags, and arrange the room for the general meetings.
- Forwards required documentation to 9th District PTSA main office.
- Maintains a complete file of all approved minutes, agendas, and materials distributed at any official PTSA meeting.
- Manages/oversees the Nominating Committee process. Recruits and forms a nominating committee, and remains available to assist them at their request.
Time Commitment: 4-6 hours per month, including attending PTSA meetings. Busiest Times of Year: Ongoing, some summer work preparing budget for Fall
- Collaborates with the PTSA President to generate the annual PTSA budget.
- Prepares the annual audit and tax returns.
- Pays bills and reimbursements as required.
- Oversees ongoing PTSA finances, ensuring adherence to approved PTSA budget.
- Prepares and presents Treasurer’s Report for each PTSA general meeting and provides budget for review, as needed.
- Records deposits.
- Sends donor acknowledgement letters.