Greetings, Roosevelt Families!
It was wonderful to celebrate with those of you who were able to attend our IB Fest / Centennial Celebration (Photos: Credit to Lisa Nelson-Sherwood, RMS Volunteer. Great job!) Thank you to Mrs. Leach, Ms. LaVelle and RooFriends for organizing such a successful event. Now that our new RMS Mascot has been revealed, I am honored to be the Principal of the Roosevelt Bears! It brings me joy to celebrate the important path Teddy Roosevelt laid to protect our National Parks.
On Thursday, we also celebrated Charlie Hernandez. Thank you to Ms. O’Malley and Charlies’ friends for your leadership in honoring her beautiful life. If you are able to, please donate to the Charlie Forever 8th Grade East Coast Trip Scholarship in Charlie’s honor.
This Week We Celebrate TEACHERS APPRECIATION WEEK!
Here are some ideas to share with your student on how to celebrate their teachers (past and present): Teacher Appreciation Week- May 8-12. On behalf of Roosevelt Families, RooFriends will be providing a coffee truck on Wednesday and a catered lunch on Friday. If you’d like to contribute, please DONATE here!
Important: Remind Students to Charge Their Chromebooks!
State testing is right around the corner, starting on May 15. As we prepare, many classroom teachers may administer practice tests. Please be sure your student brings their charged chromebook to school everyday so that they can prepare with the rest of their class!
Immunization Clinic: Wednesday, May 10, 2:00 – 6:30 PM
We are excited that Nurse Keesee has organized another free Immunization Clinic on Wednesday May 10th from 2 to 6:30 pm. They will be offering flu shots and covid boosters. Attention all 6th grade families! This is a great opportunity to get the Tdap booster, which is the California requirement for 7th grade.
RMS Spirit Night at Handel’s Ice Cream: Thursday, May 11, 4 – 7 PM
Nearby Handel’s in Hillcrest will donate 20% of RMS sales back to our school!
It’s SHOWTIME! Roosevelt MS Theatre Company (RTC) Presents …
the RTC Spring 2023 Musical: The Addams Family!!
- May 12, 4:00 PM: School Show (Featuring the Understudies).
- May 13, 6:00 PM: Family & Friends Show.
- May 15: 4:00 PM: School Show.
RMS Auditorium doors will open 15 minutes before showtimes for General Admission Seating. ALL students, teachers, staff, family & friends are invited to the shows. RTC is generously sponsored by RooFriends AfterSchool Enrichment (ASE). Shows are FREE; no tickets. Donations Welcome.
Join RooFriends 2023-2024
Apply for RooFriends Board & Committee Members for 2023-2024!! Support the amazing Friends of Roosevelt Foundation who supports RMS Students and Staff.
Flag Football Update
Congratulations to our boys Flag Football team for winning two hard-fought games on Saturday! Our girls are continuing to compete hard as well. Click here for next week’s schedule, the last regular season games before the playoffs begin.
RMS Music Update
- Congratulations to the RMS Jazz Band on their return to Coronado Jazz Fest! Next, the Jazz Band and Advanced Orchestra will be adventuring together to perform in the “Music in the Parks” program at Knott’s Berry Farm this Friday.
- RMS Music invites the RMS Community to attend a live music concert, courtesy of RooFriends Music Boosters and the San Diego Symphony Learning & Community Engagement Program: FREE Tickets to San Diego Symphony Community Access Concerts (May 2023)!!
Click here for this week’s updates
RMS Calendar Updates
- May 8-12: Teacher Appreciation Week.
- May 10: Immunization Clinic 2:00 – 6:30 pm.
- May 11: SSC Meeting: Agenda and Zoom Link
- May 11: RMS Spirit Night at Handel’s Ice Cream (Hillcrest).
- May 12, 13 & 15: RTC Presents “The Addams Family” Musical.
- May 15-May 25: CAASPP Testing.
- May 26: Memorial Day Holiday; No School.
- May 29: Memorial Day Holiday; No School.
- June 12: 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony, 9 am at the North Park Observatory.
- June 14: Last Day of School.
- Sync with the RooFriends.org Calendar to keep up to date with RMS events.
University Heights Library Updates
New Student/Parent Arrival Workshops
There will be a workshop hosted by the Family Engagement department in collaboration with Say San Diego for newcomer families regarding parent involvement in schools.
The next Zoom meeting is Tuesday, May 9th, from 5:30-6:30pm.
RMS Community Support!
- Student Safety (afternoon pick-up zone).
- Reading & Math Tutors for English-Learner students.
- Contribute to Ms. Vinnard’s science DonorsChoose project.
- RooFriends Parking Fundraisers for RMS Student and Staff support.
RMS Yearbook 2022-2023: Order yearbooks online.
PrimeTime Spots Are Available Before and After School
- Please email Roosevelt@arc-experience.com if you are interested in signing-up.
Core Academy Saturday School | Attendance Reporting.
- Remaining Core Academy 2023 dates: 5/20, 6/3. Please sign-up.
- Please report absences using this link or email Ms. Vallejo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Have a great week, and always remember your Roosevelt PRIDE: Personal Responsibility in Daily Excellence.
Principal Steinberger | email@example.com
RMS Important Dates Calendar | Sync with the RooFriends.org Google Calendar