Greetings, Roosevelt Families!
May is here! I am so excited to celebrate our school community this Thursday at our IB Fest / Centennial Celebration (May 4, 5 – 7 PM). We will have student work that demonstrates their IB learning on display as well as performances from our Band & Orchestra and other student groups on campus. We will have guest speakers, Food Trucks, a free BBQ stand supplied by SDUSD and we will be revealing our new school mascot! You can also commemorate this important milestone by painting a RMS Centennial Tile to be placed in a future mural at Roosevelt! Looking forward to seeing you there, please spread the word to family, friends and the RMS Feeder Schools!
Thank you to Ms. LaVelle and our ASB students for hosting a wonderful 8th Grade Community Project Presentation Day on Friday! Here are a few pictures from the event. Thank you as well to the RMS Families who volunteered as panelists on Friday and at the 4/29 RooFriends Parking Fundraiser!
Reminder: This Wednesday May 3rd is LATE START WEDNESDAY.
RMS Calendar Updates
- May 1: 8th Grade Sea World Field Trip (See Coach Courneya’s 4/30/23 email).
- May 3: Late Start Wednesday, First Period will begin at 9:30 am.
- May 4: Roosevelt IB Fest 5 – 7 pm. Gates open at 4:45 pm!
- Here are our ASB Updates from this week.
- Sync with the RooFriends.org Calendar to keep up to date with RMS events.
IB Fest / 100 Year Celebration on Thursday, May 4th from 5 – 7 pm!
In honor of the 100th Anniversary of Roosevelt’s founding, families and students can paint a 4-inch square ceramic tile that will be incorporated into Roosevelt’s future renovations. Painting happens at IB Fest. All materials will be provided.
Reserve your tiles ahead of time by payment via credit card.
Food Donation Drive at IB Fest
There will be boxes where everyone can donate food organized by 8th grade students Myles Weaver, Thomas Landry, and Dylan Woolley for their Community Project. The requirements for the food are:
- Not leftovers or homemade
- No expired food
- Canned food and Pasta recommended
- No glass containers
- Powdered liquids recommended
These can be dropped off in the main office or brought to our IB Fest on May 4th.
Another 8th Grade Community Project, the Roosevelt Closet & Pantry (100 Building), will also be open to IB Fest guests. Thank you!
Media Arts Grant at Roosevelt: Please Sign!
There is a national initiative to support magnet schools in improving arts and technology access, and our focus will be on Media Arts. We will receive supplies, curriculum, and an on-site coordinator for multiple years. The total amount will be in the millions if this grant is approved. Please click here to digitally sign the document to support this effort if you haven’t already!
RooFriends Now Recruiting for 2023-2024! Applications Due June 12, 2023.
- 5 – 6 open Friends of Roosevelt Foundation Board positions; apply HERE.
- Open Committee positions are listed here: Volunteer Opportunities.
- To ensure a smooth transition, we will start meeting with next year’s team before the end of this school year. Please contact RooFriends soon if you’re interested: email@example.com.
RooFriends Music Boosters Partners with San Diego Symphony
RMS Music encourages Students, Families, Teachers and Staff to explore the diversity of music and the creativity of performance art by attending a live music concert… courtesy of RooFriends Music Boosters and the San Diego Symphony Learning & Community Engagement Program:
FREE Tickets to San Diego Symphony Community Access Concerts (May 2023)!!
Free Jazz Concert this Saturday, May 6
RMS Jazz Band invites the RMS Community to join them at this Saturday’s Coronado Jazz Fest (Coronado School of the Arts, 650 D Ave, Coronado):
- 10:30 AM: RMS Jazz Band performance.
- 12:00 – 1:00 PM: SDSU Jazz Band concert. FREE!
Upcoming Immunization Clinic May 10, 2:00 to 6:30 PM
Nurse Keesee has organized another free Immunization Clinic on May 10 from 2 to 6:30 PM. They will be offering flu shots and covid boosters. Attention all 6th Grade Families: This is a great opportunity to get the Tdap booster, which is the California requirement for 7th grade.
University Heights Library Updates
WORKSHOP OPPORTUNITY – Stop Motion Animation – Starting in May
This is a FREE workshop being offered twice a week at Sherman Heights Community Center- Learn animation techniques and create your own animated films! This awesome animation will take you on a journey to focus your creativity on bringing anything from concept to screen, from your toys to creating your own characters.
- For students 8-15 years old.
- Location: Sherman Heights Community Center / Address: 2258 Island Ave, San Diego, CA 92102.
- 6 Sessions total / Dates: Mondays & Thursdays, May 1, 4, 8, 11, 15 & 18.
- WorkshopTime: 3:30-5:00 pm.
Contact at (858) 349-7578 or Programs@outsidethelens.org
New Student/Parent Arrival Workshops
There will be a workshop hosted by the Family Engagement department in collaboration with Say San Diego for newcomer families regarding parent involvement in schools.
The next Zoom meeting is Tuesday, May 9th, from 5:30-6:30pm.
RMS Community Support!
- Student Safety (afternoon pick-up zone).
- Reading & Math Tutors for English-Learner students.
- Contribute to Ms. Vinnard’s science DonorsChoose project.
- RooFriends Parking Fundraisers for RMS Student and Staff support.
RMS Yearbook 2022-2023: Order yearbooks online.
PrimeTime Spots Are Available Before and After School
- Please email Roosevelt@arc-experience.com if you are interested in signing-up.
Core Academy Saturday School | Attendance Reporting.
- Remaining Core Academy 2023 dates: 5/6, 5/20, 6/3. Please sign-up.
- Please report absences using this link or email Ms. Vallejo (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Have a great week, and always remember your Roosevelt PRIDE: Personal Responsibility in Daily Excellence.
Principal Steinberger | email@example.com
RMS Important Dates Calendar | Sync with the RooFriends.org Google Calendar