Greetings, Roosevelt Families!
As we head into the last grading period for the school year, I wanted to celebrate the collective effort we have all put in to create positive experiences for our children. It has been another year with a variety of challenges, but we continue to focus on what we can do to provide the best experiences for our students, both in the classroom and with the activities below. Thank you for your support at home as well.
We celebrated our first annual Earth Day Celebration on Friday, led by Ms. Reilly and our Science Team: (RMS Earth Day Science Fair 2023 (Slideshow).
Bravo to our Jazz Band students who represented RMS in the first-ever SDUSD VAPA Honor Jazz Ensembles Concert on Friday.
Congratulations to the RooFriends Music Boosters on their first-ever Community Concert, “Music for a Lifetime” on Saturday. They created a learning and performance opportunity for students from RMS Orchestra, San Diego HS and McKinley Elementary to play accompanied by AmateurPianists.org musicians and offered this concert as a cultural enrichment program for the April 22 Core Academy students.
Here are our ASB Updates from this week.
RMS Calendar Updates
- April 27: SSC Meeting 4 pm: Agenda and Zoom Link.
- April 27: Fentanyl and Opioid Presentation at SDHS: 9 am or 6 pm (see below).
- April 28: 8th Grade Community Project presentations.
- April 28: Grades will be available in PowerSchool.
- May 1: 8th Grade Sea World Field Trip (Permission forms due MONDAY, 4.24).
- May 3: Late Start Wednesday.
- May 4: Roosevelt IB Fest 5 – 7 pm (gates open at 4:45 pm).
- Sync with the RooFriends.org Calendar to keep up to date with RMS events.
Community Project Presentations: All 8th Grade Students
This Friday, our 8th Grade Students will participate in an integral part of their IB experience. Check-in with your 8th Grader to make sure they are prepared to share their Community Project Presentation. Please look through the April 28 Community Project Presentations Slideshow for more information. 8th Graders should come to school on Friday with their Chromebooks fully charged. Volunteers for 8th Grade Presentations and Promotions Events Needed!!
IB Fest / 100 Year Celebration on Thursday, May 4, 5 – 7 PM!
Please save the date for our upcoming IB Fest and share this IB Fest 2023 flyer with your friends and family – especially those from the RMS Feeder Elementary Schools! We will celebrate Roosevelt’s centennial anniversary with performances, special guests, musical performances from our Band and Orchestra, a DJ, Food Trucks and more. All are welcome!
RooFriends has Created a Centennial Tile Fundraiser!
In honor of the 100th anniversary of Roosevelt’s founding, families and students can paint a 4-inch square ceramic tile at IB Fest that will be incorporated into Roosevelt’s future renovations. They will be painting at IB Fest. All materials will be provided.
- Families can reserve tiles ahead of time by payment via credit card.
Food Donation Drive at IB Fest
There will be boxes where everyone can donate food organized by 8th Grade students Myles Weaver, Thomas Landry, and Dylan Woolley for their community project. Food requirements:
- Not leftovers or homemade.
- No expired food.
- No glass containers.
- Canned-food and pasta recommended.
- Powdered liquids recommended.
Food donations can be dropped off in the main office or brought to our IB Fest on May 4.
Upcoming Immunization Clinic May 10, 2:00 to 6:30 PM
Nurse Keesee has organized another free Immunization Clinic on May 10 from 2 to 6:30 PM. They will be offering flu shots and covid boosters. Attention all 6th Grade Families: This is a great opportunity to get the Tdap booster, which is the California requirement for 7th grade.
SDHS Presentation focusing on Fentanyl and Opioids
On Thursday April 27 at 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM, during the SDHS “El Cafecito” with SDHS Principal and Counselors, there will be a hybrid presentation (on campus and Zoom) regarding fentanyl and opioids. Attendees will learn about the risks from fentanyl, how to recognize an opioid overdose, and how to use Naloxone (Narcan) to attempt to reverse the overdose. Attend the meeting on the SDHS campus (in the Counseling Office) to receive FREE Narcan Nasal Spray ($130.00 Value). What you learn could save a life! Zoom Meeting ID: 94276168297.
Lost and Found Items Will Be Donated on Friday, April 28
We have many water bottles and clothing in our “lost and found” located in the main office. Please visit the office to look for your missing items. All items need to be picked up by this Friday.
Congratulations to the following PRIDE Award winners for March – Reflective!
Students were honored with a card from their teacher and sweet treat courtesy of ASB.
- Grade 6– Eva Anderson, Orion Bass, James Day, Helen Gonzalez, Morgan Hubbard, Diego Rodriguez, Daniela Tambuzzo, Helena Tran, Sophia Vindel, Corbin Willoughby, Shomari Young II.
- Grade 7– Alfonso Camacho, Angela Marney, Amarah Nianda, Bronte Redman.
- Grade 8– Natalie Cabrera Vargas, Michael Crane, Olivia Hinds, Addison Jaccard, Aleksandra Nicheva, Melanie Ortega, Alyssa Quiroz, Gabriel Shotts, Oslo Trevino, Keanu Tuccillo, Ruby Tullis, Dylan Wooley.
Upcoming 8th Grade Sea World Field Trip Information on May 1
- Permission slips are due back to Coach Courneya on this Monday 4/24.
- Students need to be eligible to attend; ineligible students will be notified on 4/28.
- Eligibility will be based on both academic and citizenship GPA from P4 which ends 4/21.
- Counselors or administrators should be contacted if there is a question about eligibility due to absences, tardies or behavior.
University Heights Library Updates
New Student/Parent Arrival Workshops
There will be a workshop hosted by the Family Engagement department in collaboration with Say San Diego for newcomer families regarding parent involvement in schools.
The next Zoom meeting is Tuesday, May 9th, from 5:30-6:30pm.
WORKSHOP OPPORTUNITY – Stop Motion Animation – Starting in May
This is a FREE workshop being offered twice a week at Sherman Heights Community Center- Learn animation techniques and create your own animated films! This awesome animation will take you on a journey to focus your creativity on bringing anything from concept to screen, from your toys to creating your own characters.
- For students 8-15 years old
- Location: Sherman Heights Community Center / Address: 2258 Island Ave, San Diego, CA 92102
- 6 Sessions total / Dates: Monday & Thursdays, May 1, 4, 8, 11, 15 & 18
- WorkshopTime: 3:30-5:00 pm
Contact at (858) 349-7578 or Programs@outsidethelens.org
RMS Community Support!
- Student Safety (afternoon pick-up zone).
- Reading & Math Tutors for English-Learner students.
- Contribute to Ms. Vinnard’s science DonorsChoose project.
- RooFriends Parking Fundraisers for RMS Student and Staff support.
RMS Yearbook 2022-2023: Order yearbooks online.
PrimeTime Spots Are Available Before and After School
- Please email Roosevelt@arc-experience.com if you are interested in signing-up.
Core Academy Saturday School | Attendance Reporting.
- Remaining Core Academy 2023 dates: 5/6, 5/20, 6/3. Please sign-up.
- Please report absences using this link or email Ms. Vallejo (email@example.com).
Have a great week, and always remember your Roosevelt PRIDE: Personal Responsibility in Daily Excellence.
Principal Steinberger | firstname.lastname@example.org
RMS Important Dates Calendar | Sync with the RooFriends.org Google Calendar