Courtesy of Ms. Jones, Roosevelt is the recipient of a grant from Home Depot to create a beautiful and welcoming physical environment for our students in the Bungalow Area of our campus.
Please join us over Winter Break on December 20, 21, and/or 22 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (for one or more 2-hour shifts) to work side-by-side with Home Depot volunteers on improvements in the Bungalow Area. Please complete the volunteer sign-up Google Form to indicate which date(s) and time(s) you would like to participate.
Some of the projects we will be working on during the Bungalow Renovation include:
- Priming and painting the black asphalt path between the bungalows and asphalt ramp to look like the colored brick paths at the Spanish Village in Balboa Park.
- Priming and painting the wooden baseboards around the exterior bases of the bungalows.
- Weeding the dirt lot in preparation for Astroturf installation.
- Painting four-square, hopscotch, and other playground games on the asphalt near the shipping containers.
- Assembling planter boxes and garden benches.
- Planting flowers, herbs, and other plants in planter boxes.
- Potentially hanging bunting banners along the bungalows.
A Message from Ms. Jones
“Thank you so much for your support. These classroom gardens will make such a positive difference in the lives of our students on a daily basis. Thank you for helping us to transform the bungalow area into a peaceful, beautiful, and welcoming environment for everyone to enjoy. Ultimately, this renovation will not only improve the social and emotional well-being of our students, but will also bolster our reputation as a flourishing neighborhood public school.”
For more information: