A Message from Principal Steinberger:
RMS Students received a box with two COVID-19 home tests on Thursday 12/16/2021. SDUSD sent out an informational email (included below) on Wednesday 12/15/2021, and we received our shipment Thursday morning to get them to your children.
One test is to be taken on December 31, 2021, and the other test is for the morning of January 3, 2022 before returning to school. For more detailed information, please read this flyer: At-Home COVID-19 Testing Before Returning From Break.
Report any positive tests to the RMS Office and we can support you.
- Friday is a Minimum Day. 6th Period ends at 2:14 PM.
- Friday will be a Wellness Day. Each class period will feature a different option for students to take part in. At various times, there will be outdoor activities for students to build community by grade level.
- Friday is ASB Spirit Friday: Roosevelt PRIDE! Students and Staff are encouraged to wear RMS Gear and school colors.
Upcoming in 2022: “Parents Learning to be Better Parents” workshop. Please review the flyer (Spanish/English) for workshop topics.
I hope you all have a wonderful and safe break. I look forward to continuing to build on our success in the New Year. Happy Holidays Season to you all!
– Principal Steinberger, “Always remember your Roosevelt PRIDE: Personal Responsibility in Daily Excellence.”
- Follow Principal Steinberger on Twitter: @PrincipalRIMS
12/15/2021 | San Diego Unified School District is providing a kit of two COVID-19 antigen rapid tests for all students to self-test at home prior to returning to campus after winter break in January 2022.
Every student will receive an iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Kit from their school between Wednesday, Dec. 15 and Friday, Dec. 17.
We know many students will be traveling or gathering with friends and family over the winter break, and with a recent up-tick in case rates nationally and the new omicron variant, that means students may be exposed to COVID-19. These at-home rapid tests will help all of our students and their families have greater peace of mind about returning to school safely in January.
HOW TO USE THE TESTS
Please note that any student who has had a COVID-19 infection in the past 90 days should not use the test kit. The test may be positive because of a prior infection.
- Students should take the first test on Friday, December 31, 2021 — three days before their return to school.
- Students should take the second test the morning of Monday, January 3, 2022 before coming to school.
- If the test is negative, your student feels well, and has no COVID-19 symptoms, they are cleared to return to school!
- If your child DOES have any COVID-19 symptoms and/or has HAD a known exposure to someone with COVID-19, please keep them home and call your school for next steps before their return.
- If either test is positive, keep your child home and contact their doctor and school right away to follow any further instructions before returning to campus.
- Additional details on how and when to use these self-administered COVID-19 tests can be found on this instructional flyer.
Combating COVID-19 takes a multi-tiered approach, of which vaccination and regular testing are key elements. San Diego Unified is asking all students, regardless of vaccination status, to take this extra step and test themselves twice before returning to school as an additional layer of protection.
In addition to these at-home rapid antigen COVID-19 test kits, the district is encouraging families to go back to the basics of health and safety precautions this winter break. That means washing hands frequently, avoiding large crowds and wearing masks.
Additionally, we encourage families to take advantage of the two weeks off from school to get vaccinated if they have yet to do so. Families can visit MyTurn.ca.gov for information about getting a vaccine through walk-in and scheduled appointments during the break. Students and their families are encouraged to visit the district’s COVID-19 Vaccine website for details on opportunities to get vaccinated for free at school sites in January.
Students who miss the distribution of the COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Kits can get tested at school the first week back in January by opting in to regular, on-site testing through Responsive Lab Partners. To opt in to testing, go to the Primary Health Portal to register for an account for your child. Please sign the consent in the portal and select the school that your child attends.